Senigallia, 50 km from Genga, by the seaside, is known as “velvet Beach”. It takes its name after “Galli-Senoni” and was so called in order to distinguish it from “Sena di Etruria” (Siena) . Once first of Roman colonies by the Adriatic Sea (289 B.C.). In 1280 Guido da Montefeltro occupied it and killed 1500 inhabitants, so that Dante recalled it (Paradise XVI,37) .
In 1450 got back to the Church under the Albornez. Successively Leone X gave it to Lorenzo de Medici, Duke of Urbino. In 1522, under Della Rovere, spent a period of peace and prosperity. Worth visiting: The Rovere Fortress.
Telephone: 071 66291