GENGA

CASTLE OF PIEROSARA

It is unknown the exact date of birth , probably occurred before the year 1000. It belonged to the abbey of Saint Vittore. In 1212 the abbey of Saint Vittore , because of economical troubles, ceded the castle to Fabriano. In 1400 the castle walls were recovered through conservative works,. It was governed by four chiefs “extracted at random every two months”. It was subject to Fabraino and included ten villages, such as Camponecchio and Valtreara. When Napoleon founded the Kingdom of Italy, in 1809, Pierosara became integral part of Genga ‘s administration , and Genga itself part of Sassoferrato’s. with the restoration of Papal Authority and of Counts’, Genga regain its autonomy and new territories.

Consorzio Frasassi - Largo Leone XII, n 1 - 60040 Genga (AN) - grotte@frasassi.com - PEC: frasassi@pec.it - P.Iva 00222050429